Have you heard about the lost continent of Kumari Kandam?
Kumari Kandam refers to a mythical lost continent with an ancient Tamil civilization, located south of present-day India, in the Indian Ocean. Alternative names and spellings include Kumarikkantam and Kumari Nadu.
In the 19th century, a section of the European and American scholars speculated the existence of a submerged continent called Lemuria, to explain geologically and other similarities between Africa, India, and Madagascar. A section of Tamil revivalists adapted this theory, connecting it to the Pandyan legends of lands lost to the ocean, as described in ancient Tamil and Sanskrit literature. According to these writers, an ancient Tamil civilization existed on Lemuria, before it was lost to the sea in a catastrophe. In the 20th century, the Tamil writers started using the name “Kumari Kandam” to describe this submerged continent. Although the Lemuria theory was later rendered obsolete by the continental drift (plate tectonics) theory, the concept remained popular among the Tamil revivalists of the 20th century. According to them, Kumari Kandam was the place where the first two Tamil literary academies (Sangam’s) were organized during the Pandyan reign. They claimed Kumari Kandam as the cradle of civilization to prove the antiquity of Tamil language and culture.(source)
The ancient continent of Kumari Kandam is said to have existed south of modern-day India, now below the Indian Ocean. Its people the Tamil are said to have spread across the world creating other civilizations after Kumari Kandam disappeared.
Atlantis, Lemuria, and other lost civilizations are the reason why a lot of people are interested in history. Ever since Atlantis was mentioned by ancient Greek philosopher Plato, people around the world are convinced that somewhere out there is a lost city/continent that was once inhabited by an extremely advanced ancient civilization: the Atlanteans.
However, Atlantis isn’t the only continents said to have existed on Earth. If we travel towards India, we will find there is a lesser known story of a massive continent that was swallowed by the ocean: Lemuria, frequently connected to the ancient legend of the Tamil people and the lost continents of Kumari Kandam.
In this article we take a look at the story behind the fascinating continents said to have existed in the distant past.
- Just like Atlantis, the story behind Lemuria and Kumari Kandamis a fascinating one. Kumari Kandam is a lost continent home o the Ancient Tamil people.
- The mythical continent is said to have existed south of modern-day India and is located not below the Indian Ocean.
- Jus as with Atlantis, the continent of Kumari Kandam was lost to the sea, and few of its survivors escaped the cataclysmic events and spread across the planet.
- There are several names by which the continents goes depending on spelling it can vary from Kumari Kandam, Kumarikkantam, and Kumari Nadu.
- The word ‘Kumari Kandam’ was first mentioned in a 15th-century version of the Skanda Purana –the largest Mahāpurāṇa, a genre of eighteen Hindu religious texts— and was written by Kachiappa Sivacharyara (1350-1420).
- Contrary to popular belief, the word “Kumari Kandam” derives from the ancient Sanskrit words “Kumarika Khanda.”
- Kumari Kandam is described as the kingdom of the Earth in theAndakosappadalam section of Kanda Puranam.
- Kumari Kandam is considered the cradle of civilization, the place where everything started.
- Many authors indicate that the people of Tamil belong to theoldest civilization on the surface of the planet and when the continent of Kumari Kandam was lost to the sea, its people migrated to other parts of the planet founding different civilizations.
- The continent was mentioned for the first time during the 19th century when scholars proposed the existence of a lost continent called Lemuria, in order to explain strange geological, and biological similarities between India, Africa and the Island ofMadagascar.
- After scholars had mentioned the possibility hat three is a lost continent hiding beneath the Indian ocean; people rushed to connect it to ancient legends of lost civilizations mentioned in ancient Tamil and Sanskrit texts.
- It is believed that the ancient people of Tamil called Lemuriatheir home before a massive catastrophe swallowed the landmass.
- However, modern-day scholars argue such a continent could not have existed, and the theory is rendered obsolete after the continental drift theory.
- Interestingly, there are numerous ancient Tamil and Sanskritwritings that speak of legendary lost lands in South India that have been devoured by the ocean.
- Some authors argue that one of the best pieces of evidence supporting the existence of the lost continent of Kumari Kandam is a 1.7 million-year-old artificial bridge, located in the Palk Strait, in the Indian Ocean called Rama’s Bridge.
Our team works hard around the clock to bring you the best content on the web. Your likes, comments and shares not only provide emotional support to team WSL, but also allow us to carefully analyze your feedback and bring you more of the content you want.
We are always grateful for your courage and inspiration to read and watch our posts. If you like the information and insight we provide, please remember that it is a good thing to like, share and comment. Your empowerment is our success.